> Nadeau

Monday, October 24, 2005

Truth be told

I wouldn't know a "spec" from a spitoon.
I can send him the model numbers on the mixer, but
there's no dials to read on the mixer, just a bank of
blue lights that go on IF we go through the mixing
board and not the laptop. Some lights is good, not
enough lights is not, too many is worse. That's all I
know.

I think if I get a CD player and we start going
through the board and use the earphones we can probaly
tell whether it sounds "right" and we'll be OK.

Truth be told, this inability to discern, understand or care
about specifications is why Ulanowicz could never get
me interested in building ham radios and collecting
QSL cards and all that crap.

At Bay Films Alan did the camera work and Mike handled
the sound set-ups and film editing. Both guys were
technical detail men, with camel hair brushes to wipe
the Ikigami lens clean and tidy up the wires and gear
just so when packing up and use a stop watch to time
each sound cip to hit 2 mins 29.5 secs on the button,
etc. Me, I was just the creative and sales guy. I just
came up with the ideas, shmoozed the clients, wrote
the scripts and fronted the operation.

And apparently I wasn't very good at that, either.
Otherwise, I'd still be living on Telegraph Hill in
San Francisco, enoying a view of the bay, lunching at
Jack's Grill on O'Farrell and pullling down what would
be about $110K a year when adjusted for inflation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]